Checklist for buying a home
|Determine What You Want
|On a scale of 0 to 5, rate the following characteristics most important to you in a home and neighbourhood:
|0 = not important
||3 = moderately important
||5 = must have
|Large Kitchen _____
||Family Room/Great Room _____
||Master Ensuite _____
|Walk In Closet _____
||Finished Basement _____
|Garage ___ (# of doors) ___
||Close to Schools _____
|Close to Public Transit _____
||Close to Shopping _____
|Quiet Street _____
||Large Back yard _____
|North/South View _____
||East/West View _____
|Number of Bedrooms: _____
||Number of Bathrooms: _____
|Style of Home: Single dwelling___ duplex___ condo___ townhouse___ acreage___
|I can provide you with the following services:
- Act as a consultant to determine your real estate needs, help you establish what you can afford and assist you with mortgage financing. I will also advise you of costs such as legal fees, legal disbursements, closing costs and down payment options involved in the buying process.
- Identify and represent you in one of three market scenarios:
- Buyers Market
- Sellers Market
- Balanced Market
- Identify communities and homes that are most suited to you as an individual, couple or family.
- Research all MLS® listings to find the right home for you. I also have “first knowledge” of new listings as they are recorded.
- Advise you when homes are overpriced.
- Provide information on properties and accompany you as an adviser when showing suitable properties.
- Promptly present offers and negotiate on your behalf. Negotiations could involve one or numerous counter-offers.
- I will guide you through the process if there is more than one offer for the property on which you have made an offer to purchase.
- Arrange an inspection.
- Guide you through the process from offer to closing. This includes facilitating the completion of all paperwork and monitoring all closing activities.
- Keep you informed throughout the entire purchase process.
The buyer’s AGENT is paid from the seller’s commission. There is no direct cost to you. A AGENT works without pay until they find the right home for you and successfully closes an offer to purchase at a price and terms acceptable to you.
|Checklist When Hiring a AGENT
- Do they specialize in any particular part of the market? Do they focus more on buyers or sellers market?
- Will I be in control of the process?
- How much do they know about the community that I want to buy in?
- What assurance do I have that they will service my needs? Do they have testimonials from prior clients or letters of recommendation?
- How will they keep me informed?
|Get a pre-approval letter for a mortgage. Mortgage factors to consider:
- What type of mortgage is best for you?
- How much should your down payment be?
- Are you eligible for an RSP homebuyer withdrawal?
- There may be a fee for mortgage application and appraisal fee.
- Documents needed to secure a mortgage include:
- A copy of the real estate listing of the property OR for a new home, the builders plans, lot size and location.
- A copy of the offer to purchase.
- Documents confirming employment, income and source of pre-approval.
|Home Inspection (Recommended)
|By hiring a home inspector prior to purchase, you will protect one of the most important investments of your life. A home inspection will reveal the structural and mechanical soundness of your home. The report will advise you of:
- Existing and potential problem areas.
- Suggested solutions.
- Cost estimates for any work required.
Your Discover Real Estate Ltd AGENT can recommend a qualified home inspection service or arrange for an inspection to assess your new home. Inspection costs range according to size, age and location.
|Set aside enough funds to close your deal. Closing expenses include:
- Legal fees.
- Legal disbursements.
- Tax closing adjustment.
- Utilities closing adjustment.
- Property inspection (recommended but optional).
- Deed and mortgage registration.
- Real property report.
- Land transfer or property purchase tax.
- Mortgage interest adjustment and takeover fee (if applicable).
- Utility and cable connection charges.
- Home and property insurance coverage.
- Mortgage Insurance.
- Moving Expenses.
|On closing the deal:
- Schedule mortgage payments and property taxes.
- Secure insurance coverage.
- Transfer utilities.
- Arrange the move.